The goals of the linguistics program are to
- make students aware of the intricacies of their native language;
- give students tools to learn other languages, to make them better language learners;
- prepare students to work with people of different linguistic backgrounds;
- help students understand the role language plays in human society;
- make students aware of the causes of language stereotypes, such as those dealing with Black English, regional accents and sign language;
- encourage students to discuss and evaluate language policies, such as bilingual education and “English only” laws;
- add a linguistic component to their major field of study, be it in humanities, education, social sciences, behavioral sciences, or natural sciences.